We are a "hands-on" team.
Our members volunteer 1000's of hours each year to bring their love for skiing and snowboarding to people who dream of sliding along in the fresh crisp air and the brilliant landscape of the mountains that surround them.
Each year we have a recruitment meeting in mid-November. This year's recruitment date is passed, if you have past experience with VISAS contact any member of our board of directors about possible reinstatement.
Volunteer Instructor Requirements:
- Have a strong desire to assist mentally and physically challenged people.
- Strong physical condition, good intermediate skiing ability, minimum age: 16
- Be able to commit to a minimum of 15 duty days during the season (approx. 1 per week.)
- In addition, be available to commit to Society events such as the Snowshow, The Coke Classic, The Festival, to occasional races and/or other mountain events.
- Be available to assist in administrative and fund-raising activities in local area.
- Attend CADS (Canadian Association for Disabled Skiers) four day training (first two weekends of season)
- Submit a current Criminal Record check through the RCMP (all info is strictly confidential).
- Candidates who possess these requirements are given a four (4) day training program to establish them with a Level 1 C.A.D.S. certification
- This involves a combination of "on-hill" technical training as well as sessions on how to assess and work with mentally and physically challenged people
- All of our training techniques emphasize the "progression methods" established by the Canadian Ski Instructors Alliance (C.S.I.A.).
- Assisting people to "accent their abilities" in a challenging environment
- Working alongside a well established group of professionals teaching adaptive snowsports
- Recognition by Mt. Washington as "volunteer staff"
- Opportunity for ski improvement with Ski School CSIA Level 3 and Level 4 instructors
- Being part of a "national" team bringing snowsport access to mobility-challenged people.
How to join:
Contact us for the recruitment date information